Occupational Therapist/Case Manager - Wallerawang, NSW
Occupational Therapist/Case Manager – Wallerawang, NSW
Dr S Kamalaharan and Associates (integrated primary health care) is a living model of a medical system transformed, providing health services in a primary setting. We are an accredited general practice, an accredited occupational rehabilitation provider (since 1992), accredited with NDIS as a provider of services and Specialist Occupational Health Service. Our practice is a well-established and well-respected multidisciplinary team in Wallerawang, NSW, strongly committed to holistic medicine where the body, mind and spirit are seen as indivisible and interconnected. We provide a unique holistic occupational and rehabilitation service (over past 28 years) to the Lithgow coal mining industry. Approximately 600 miners and their families utilise our service.
Our areas of expertise are adult rehabilitation especially musculoskeletal, occupational rehabilitation, mental health, drug and alcohol, pain management and aged care.
Central to our approach to healthcare is treating each individual patient holistically through a bio-psycho-social model of care and collaborating as a team to achieve the best possible outcomes for each patient. Our patients range in age from children to the elderly.
The team is also embarking on an exciting social justice program setting up a model of transformation to respond to the issues facing the communities (occupational rehabilitation, and mental health issues affecting the paediatric population and adolescents, including suicides, to the mental health of the elderly population) in the greater Lithgow area. If you dream of a better world and see a role for yourself in achieving it, are passionate about making a difference, committed to prevention and healthy living, and working to create a futuristic society as it should be rather than what is, this could be a fantastic opportunity for you!
About the Role
You will be required to work as a case manager, in a team setting, bringing your individual expertise as an Occupational Therapist/Exercise Physiologist /physiotherapist/mental health/social worker, in an integrated primary care setting.
As we provide services for ages from ‘womb to tomb’ we are looking for people who have experience in one of the following areas and are keen to learn about the other areas outside their expertise, including occupational rehabilitation. You may already have occupational rehabilitation experience and want to expand into a treatment role.
The common approach is that you will be a case manager.
- Act as a case manager working with all stakeholders to achieve agreed outcome
- Provide return to work programs for injured employees
- Provide treatment for patients in both acute and chronic care settings
- Provide treatment for patients following orthopaedic surgeries in both Workcover and public/private health care settings
- Provide treatment and education for chronic care patients with a range of health conditions including diabetes, cardiovascular disease, COPD, mental health, general health, lifestyle and weight loss counselling
- Manage a variety of patients under the Workcover NSW system acting as a case manager that will involve liaising with employers, treating doctors/specialists/surgeons and other treatment practitioners regarding medical management and return to work planning.
- Prescription of aids to increase independence for clients who are may be funded by either NDIS system or aged care.
New graduates are encouraged to apply as on the job training and mentoring will be provided for the successful candidate.
Enthusiastic, personable Occupational Therapist/ Exercise Physiologist/ Physiotherapist/mental health/social worker, who wants to live and practice holistic health, who is willing to relocate to a country town located in close proximity to Lithgow and enjoy both a country lifestyle and be a part of a team making a difference to the health of its clients. A person who dreams of a better world and takes action to be a part of the solution.
If you like a variety of work, an environment that promotes cutting edge health practice, along with evidence-based guidelines, continuing education and teamwork then this practice will suit you.
- A Bachelor of Occupational Therapy/Physiotherapy or a Bachelor’s Degree in Exercise Science (Rehabilitation) or Human movement studies with the view for accreditation as an Exercise Physiologist, or a Masters degree in Exercise Physiology.
- Appropriate mental health qualifications.
- Appropriate social work qualifications.
- Experience in a treatment setting either adult rehab, mental health aged care or paediatrics.
- Current AHPRA registration or ESSA membership
- Workcover approval number or be eligible to apply for one in the near future (for a physiotherapist or exercise physiologist)
- First aid and CPR qualifications or willing to undergo training
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to build rapport with patients, co-workers and other health professionals
- High quality time management skills
- Ability to prioritise and organise daily tasks
- Commitment and motivation
- Passion for ongoing learning and progression of skills
- Drivers license and reliable car
- Ability to work individually and as part of a multidisciplinary team
- High level professional communication skills
- Computer literate
Our senior clinical staff will provide extensive training and support. We offer Flexible hours to suit you in a professional and supportive work environment.
Please email your CV and a cover letter to Therese Daubaras (email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org)
Support to go rural
The NSW Rural Doctors Network (RDN) can help make the move to rural practice through the Australian Government Rural Health Workforce Support Program. The Program aims to increase access to quality primary care for rural and remote populations by growing and supporting the rural health workforce.
We may even be able to offer you financial support if you are moving to a more rural location. For more information please visit www.nswrdn.com.au
Support to study
The Health Workforce Scholarship Program supports upskilling of rural allied health professionals, nurses, dentists, doctors and Aboriginal Health Workers. For more information please call 02 4924 8000.
APPLICATIONS OPEN NOW!